What's cooking in the slow cooker today???

Don't you love those mornings when you feel like you got so much done....this morning was one of those, I was up and had my workout done(Bootcamp) by 6a.m., got the baby up and ready for his dad to take him to daycare, browned the meat for dinner tonight and got the crockpot all set up and a cooking away, did two loads of laundry....whew....got the second kid to school and now am working away.   Great day so far....I put this crock pot meal together for the boys since I am in Yoga training all weekend.....sure do love my Yoga trainings but really miss the family when I am gone so much.  Anything I can do to make it easier on the hubby while I am gone I will do....so without further babbling on...here is the recipe, courtesy of my Clean Eating Cookbook 1, that my mom got me for Christmas...I got both 1 and 2 and I will be using recipes out of these for forever!

 Clean Eating Slow-Cooker Stew
 Ingredients:

1/3 cup amaranth flour or flour of your choice(I used White Whole Wheat Flour)
1/2 tsp of sea salt
1/2 tsp of ground pepper
1 Tbsp of dried oregano
1 Tbsp of dried basil
3lbs lean boneless bison( I have never tried but would like to) or beef, cut into 1-inch chunks
3 Tbsp of EVOO(Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped finely
4 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press
Carrots, I used baby carrots and through in about two handfuls, my kids love carrots so the more the better for them
4 stalks of celery, trimmed and chopped
1 sweet potatoe peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks, you can use more sweet potatoes, but the one I got was huge so 1 was sufficient
1 Tbsp of tomato paste
3 cups of water or beef or vegetable stock, low sodium( I used two cups of beef, and one cup of water)

Directions:
1: In a container with a lid, place flour, sea salt, pepper, oregano and basil.  Put the lid on the container and shake.  Now add your meat to the flour and shake again to coat each piece. Set aside.
2.  Heat 1 1/2 tblsps of olive oil  in a large skillet and set over medium heat. Remove the meat cubes and place in skillet.  You may have to brown them in batches if your pan is not big enough.  Once the meat is nicely browned remove and place it in the slow cooker.  Add all remaining ingredients and mix gently...set it to high and cook covered for about 6 hours.
*I am going to serve this with brown rice on the side, but you can eat it as is too!

Comments

Popular Posts