Tailgating 101: 5 layer Mexican Dip

We were invited over to our friend's house for a little Iowa Hawkeye Insight Bowl tailgating party.  A great time was had by all and even though our beloved Hawkeyes faltered, the food prevailed.  I brought one of my favorite dips of all time.....so addicting and yet a great healthy alternative to the sour cream laden ones!  Enjoy!  I know we all did!
Ingredients


2 teaspoons olive oil

1 medium onion, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, preferably low-sodium, drained and rinsed

1 tablespoon roasted peppers(you can use chipotle peppers for an extra kick)
4 tablespoons lime juice

1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

1 tablespoon water

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 cups corn kernels (10-ounce box frozen corn)

1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves

2 ripe avocados

4 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced (about 2 cups)

1 tablespoon finely diced jalapeno pepper, optional(I don't do jalapeno's so this is not an option for me:)

3/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar

Directions

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until they soften and are a nice golden brown. Add the garlic and let cook for 1-2 minutes more.

Take half of the onion mixture and put into a food processor with the black beans, roasted pepper, 2 tablespoons of the lime juice, cumin, water and salt. Puree the mixture until smooth.
Add the corn to the skillet with the remaining onion mixture and cook until corn is heated through. Remove from the heat and add in the cilantro leaves.

Mash the avocado with the remaining lime juice in a small bowl. In a another bowl toss together the tomatoes, and jalapeno(optional) Season tomato mixture with salt and pepper, to taste.

Spread the black bean dip into the bottom of an 8 by 8 serving dish. Next layer the corn mixture, spreading it out to form a single layer over the beans, repeat with the avocado, then the tomatoes. Top with the cheese. Serve with baked chips.

Voila', a masterpeice!
Enjoy

                                        





Comments

  1. This sounds delicious! I just added a Tailgater from DISH to my tailgating and so I have been looking for recipes that are easy and will keep us fed while we are cheering on the home team. The prep work for this 5-layer dip is minimal so I think it will be easy to make the mornings of our tailgating parties. I also like that this can be served cold so it will be good in any quarter of the game. I will likely use a disposable tin dish because it will be easier for travel. I am excited to see how quickly our Tailgater picks up an HD signal since it is a portable HDTV satellite system, and being that I work for DISH I know that it should only take a matter of minutes. With easy to follow recipes like yours and the easy setup of my Tailgater, I have a feeling that the rest of this football season will be a piece of cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is super easy to make Nicole and thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts