What's a serving of Whole Grains

                                                       Bulgur Salad with Edamame and Cherry Tomatoes Recipe

I have been really trying to focus on getting more whole grains in my diet, and my families. The fiber and nutrients associated with reduced risk of stroke, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease, and better weight maintenance.  Trying to fit in 48 grams(recommended per day) was getting daunting until I realized that after reading a great article in "Cooking Light" magazine that I was eating more things with whole grains than I realized.  Here are some great pointers from that article:
1. Focus on 48-  48 grams of whole grains are recommended per day.
2. Read front of box claims: Look for "100% whole grain", or "whole grain". The 100% claim means all grains in the product are whole, and you'll get at least 16 grams per serving.  To earn a "whole grain" claim, a product need contain 51% whole grains and at least 8 grams.  Good but not much bang for the buck. 
3. Study the ingredient list:  If the product lists 100% whole, or "whole grain", wheat, corn, or other whole grain first you have found the real thing.
4.  Buy unprocessed whole grains:  wild rice, popcorn,quinoa are great just to name a few.
On a side note, I am not a fan of wheat bread.  They suggest eating whole-white-wheat bread.  Whole white wheat flour is made from an albino variety of wheat that contains all the nutrients for its darker counterpart!  Yeah for me.  Tried it and loved it.  Tastes just like white bread. 

Most of my meal plans incorportate whole grains, from the wheat pizza crusts, to using whole wheat flour in different sauces and dishes.  What are you doing to incorporate whole grains into your diet?

Comments

Popular Posts